Pages

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Mosaic Swiss Roll

Another challenging homework to do for IG baking group homemadelovers. Having tried a few times with no luck in getting the browned outer skin for the roll, I was so happy that finally I got it :)


 
 
This roll cake is called mosaic as it typically has colors in it, a combination of a few giving a nice shades as what we usually find in mosaic arts. This is something I still have to work on, my colors were barely visible LOL
As of the taste and texture, I cannot complain. It's soft, spongy and yummy. A great recipe I must say
 
 
 
 
Here's what you need:
 
8 egg yolks
2 egg whites
65g caster sugar
40g plain flour
20g corn flour
10g milk powder
100g butter, melt
a few different food color / paste of your choice (I used pink, green and yellow)
buttercream / jam of your choice for filling (I used Nutella)
 
Method:
  1. Prepare a swiss roll pan (25x30cm), grease and line. Preheat oven to 200degC
  2. Beat eggs, sugar until doubled in size
  3. Add in sifted  plain flour, corn flour and milk powder, mix well
  4. Add in a few tablespoons of the batter into melted butter and mix well
  5. Pour in the butter mixture into the remaining batter and fold in gently
  6. Scoop in a few tablespoons of batter to small bowls and add in color as preferred, fold in gently and scoop into piping bags. Also scoop in the remaining batter with no color added to a piping bag
  7. Pipe all of the colored batter alternately, and followed by the non colored batter over it
  8. Bake for about 20mins until the top evenly browned dry to the touch (I used 180degC for about 17mins and 5mins more with only top heat)
  9. Remove from oven, invert and remove the baking paper. Prepare another cooling rack with baking paper on it, place on the cake and invert once more, leave to lukewarm
  10. Spread the filling, and roll the cake. Tighten the baking paper on each side to secure the rolled cake and keep in the fridge for about an hour before slicing
 
 

I was so happy looking at the browned skin :)
This was the impatient me cutting the cake right after done with the rolling. Such a messy cut LOL
 
 
 
Neater cut after kept in the fridge for an hour
This cake is soft  and yummy. Another swiss roll recipe I will keep :)
Need to work on those colors! I want something more visible than this haha..


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...